Choosing the Right Home Builder
April 6, 2016
So you’re in the market for a new home and searching for that perfect home builder? No matter what type of home you are searching for be it a condo, townhouse, a subdivision or custom-built home; look thru the tips below to help you find your perfect builder for your home.
Make a List of Possible Home Builders once you have decided on the type of home you want.
- Create a list of potential home builders by reaching out the your local Home Builders Association.
- Looking thru the ad section of your local newspaper you can find and learn more about which builders are currently building in your area along with the types of homes being built and prices.
- Reach out to local real estate agents who can assist you in your search.
- Friends and relatives are great for asking for recommendations.
Do Your Homework now that you have a list of potential home builders, time to start asking questions and make sure you take along a notebook to jot answers down.
- Conduct an interview with a list of questions you have
- Visit some of the builder’s recently built homes. When visiting homes that are recently occupied by the new homeowner and they are outside approach them letting them know you are considering buying a home from the builder and ask for their experience with the builder. Consider visiting several to get a few opinions. Ask questions like: Are they pleased with their new home? Have you had any problems with the builder coming back to fixing any issues and were they promptly taken care of? Would you buy another home from this builder?
Look for Quality and Value. Visit new homes, home shows, open houses being hosted by the home builder or realtor. These are great opportunities to look at homes in a furnished or unfurnished environment to see the quality of the home.
- Look at the quality of the construction; carpentry, carpeting, flooring, trimwork and paint.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions, get specific, and take notes. Never hesitate to ask questions.